Sunday 4 November 2012

Hot Wheels 4


While the other volunteers picked up skills quickly and were able to practice, my progress was frustrated as I battled with the Yamaha 125 standard VSO moto.  After two days and three tumbles (no injuries bar bruises) I realised this machine was too big and too heavy for me. By good fortune, enquiries revealed that VSO had a smaller scooter in store, which was recovered, hastily serviced and by Friday I was much happier, sitting astride a Yamaha Economy Crypton, able to plant both feet on the ground, move the steering with ease and actually manoeuvre the bike back and forth when in neutral.


I had by then evolved my preferred practice routine, with a trainer “picked” as my pillion passenger, coaching and immediately available when I felt I had “had enough.” Our routes, along the main roads of Tamale, the rough dirt roads of the estates and out through the rural tracks leading to remote villages, were demanding of skills and concentration, exhausting, but exactly what was needed.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment