Sunday 12 May 2013

Animals: domesticated 2

The patient, gentle donkey:- younger boys ride them like cowboys.

Larger animals to be seen everywhere include cows, which are extremely valued, and donkeys, used for labour and transport, though gradually being replaced by the three wheeled motorking.
Donkey and metal cart- young children quickly learn to handle the donkey and to transport goods to mark


The adaptable motorking- the new workhorse of northern Ghana- this picture taken on the main road into Tamale.

Although there are few fences, no squared pattern of fields, no clear land boundaries other then the clay walls surrounding traditional compound houses, I am still surprised if I open the door to leave my house and a large cow walks straight past me. Why?
And finally- another domesticated animal, infrequently seen, favoured by tribesmen from Niger with nomadic habits:-the camel.

I was keeping a safe distance from the long strong legs.

The rider sits to one side of the saddle, using a stick, but also his feet to give instruction and direction to the animal. I like the handbag, slung over the saddle. Camels and their riders are welcomed in Zebilla- I have seen one man gallop with camel from house to house, requesting small offerings of food.



No comments:

Post a Comment